Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dish | Chicken Breasts with Tomato-Herb Pan Sauce

Ryan said, "This is one of the best things you've ever made" last night - after dinner - while we were getting ready for bed. He also threw words in there like "elegant" and "simple". I love simple! Simple is what I believe food should be. When I started really cooking (about two years ago) and discovered that I actually enjoyed doing it, something shifted, and I was ready to take on any recipe (or so I thought). I would attempt all of these over the top recipes that I was not prepared for, and the outcome would be a hit or miss meal that I was nervous to serve to guests. I'm not a famous chef, I just like making meals for my friends. These days - when it comes to cooking for myself - I am far more willing to experiment or get a little crazy in the kitchen, because I am the one tasting it, nobody else. When it comes to cooking for friends/family, I keep it simple, because simple is going to feed more mouths and satisfy more bellies. Don't get me wrong, I am all for the fancy! But, I would save fancy for special occasions and holidays.

This beautiful recipe comes from the July 2011 Bon Appétit. I have a copy of that issue, but I must of missed this one somehow because it was brought to my attention by Epicurious.com (an incredible resource for chefs of all levels).

CHICKEN BREASTS WITH TOMATO-HERB PAN SAUCE  |  Recipe inspired by Bon Appétit July 2011/Epicurious.com

Epicurious says, "The key to this sauté: Cook the tomatoes with the bits of chicken left over after you've seared it in the pan. When the tomatoes burst, swirl in the remaining marjoram butter to finish the pan sauce."

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 cups mixed cherry tomatoes (11-12 ounces)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1  |  Mash butter, garlic, marjoram, and paprika in a small bowl to blend. Season marjoram butter to taste with salt and pepper.

2  |  Melt 1 tablespoon marjoram butter in a medium heavy skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet, cover, and cook until no longer pink in center, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate. Tent chicken with foil to keep warm.

3  |  Increase heat to high. Add tomatoes to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to char and burst, about 5 minutes. Add remaining marjoram butter to skillet. Crush tomatoes slightly to release juices; stir 1 minute. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon tomato sauce over chicken. Garnish with parsley.




No comments:

Post a Comment