Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dish | Candied Walnuts

I was in Las Vegas this past weekend celebrating my best friend Jared's birthday. Jared's a chef at Revel in Seattle - which I should mention is doing incredibly well - and seeing him over the weekend reminded me of the simple candied nut recipe he had told me about last year (or at least something really close to it). These candied little gems are perfect for salads and addicting as a snack! Between the heirloom lettuce salad with strawberries and goat cheese I made the other night and just snacking on the walnuts, Ryan and I finished off the first batch in two days!

CANDIED WALNUTS

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups whole walnuts (you can use any type of nut)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1  |  Place a Silpat mat or a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add the sugar and walnuts.

2  |  Cook and stir constantly with a spoon until the sugar melts and turns a golden brown. Remove skillet from heat and add the vanilla extract. It should sizzle but give it one last good stir and empty the skillet onto the non-stick surface. Spread the nuts out evenly and cool completely before using/eating.



No comments:

Post a Comment